Metaphors: What Do Bricks Have To Do With Anything, Really?

Image result for metaphor meme
What is a metaphor? According to Merriam-Webster.com, a metaphor is "a figure of speech in which a word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is used in place of another to suggest a likeness or analogy between them..." often compared to -gasp- similes.


Image result for metaphor meme
Image result for technical writing meme

Or, to put it in an easier to understand way (courtesy of this really cool article I found on the Grammarly Blog,) "...a figure of speech that describes an object or action in a way that isn’t literally true, but helps explain an idea or make a comparison." 

Personally, I think writing is both incredibly boring and physically hard to both read and retain without good, solid metaphors to hold the reader's interest throughout. I love using them in my writing and use them fairly frequently in everyday conversation.This might be why I have so much difficulty with formal writing. While it has its place, I find technical writing almost physically painful both to read and write, especially when my knee-jerk impulse when trying to make a point is to use poetic and oddly specific metaphors.


The Grammerly blog entry does a good job of going into pretty decent detail without being confusing. It also links to other pages discussing both similes in general and their relation to metaphors as a whole. As I went through, I automatically started comparing the examples to what I like to use in my own writing. Give it a shot,you might surprise yourself!

Here are a few of the metaphor types listed, along with some of my thoughts on them as they related my personal writing style:

Implied 

"...departs from the “thing A is thing B” formula and allows you to make a more sophisticated and subtle type of comparison through—you guessed it—implication."
 I don't think I use this kind very often, at least that I can recall. Maybe I do, but I don't remember ever writing something like the example listed for this one...I don't know, something about this example just rubbed me the wrong way...Ick.
Sustained 
"...is carried through multiple sentences or even paragraphs." 
These are some of my favorites. I tend to prefer these over implied metaphors, and rely on them heavily in my writing. I especially like them for characterization purposes; many of the characters I write tend to rely heavily  on these (at least, until I can flesh them out more fully.)
Dead Metaphor
Basically the metaphor specific version of a cliche. These are typically so overused that they lose nearly all of their impact, becoming forgettable and easily mixed up. Many "folksy" cliches fall into this category (How often have you heard or read the phrase "raining cats and dogs?" Exactly.) I like to think I avoid using these all together.

 Mixed Metaphors

"...a combination of two unrelated metaphors."

From personal reading experience, these can go one of two ways: either they are both witty and hilariously funny, or they are so horrendously awkward that you immediately feel the urge to shower, or at least squirm for the next five pages or so. While I love reading these when well-written , I try to use these sparingly, because frankly, I don't often like my chances enough to risk it.
Image result for pan galactic gargle blaster meme
I want to close with an example of metaphor from one of my favorite science fiction writers. Douglas Adams is notorious for his use of metaphor, and especially twisting them for anti-climactic/humorous effect. This morning, I had been randomly thinking of this quote (for whatever reason,) and it inspired me to write my assigned post on metaphors. So, in closing, I offer you this gem from Adams' novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on the appearance of Vogon Spaceships :

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

Deep stuff, man. In all seriousness, there's just something about Adams' metaphors (this one in particular,) that make me ridiculously happy.If you enjoy metaphors ( or sci-fi, or British madcap zany humor,) check it out. It's a whole series! Happy Reading (and writing!)




















Comments

  1. Hi Emily, your post helped me learn a lot about metaphors. I had no idea that there were so many metaphor types. The examples you provided helped me understand of each type of metaphor. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting topic that illustrates the creative aspect of language use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a lover of puns and word-play, I find this blog immensely satisfying. Personally I find malaphor fascinating though I agree that they are awkward.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Them's Flyting Words: On Norsemen and Poetry Slams

From the mouths of...Parents?: Some Thoughts on "Motherese"

Straight from the Norse's Mouth: English Etymologies Taken from Old Norse